Do you know? Geotextiles are large sheets that save our earth soil in rainy days & binds strongly. It is mostly used for filtration and separation in the road constructions. It protects from migration of small gravels & sand aggregates. Geotextiles are thin & strong membrane fabric which is used to reinforce soil & prevent from damage.
Geotextiles are mostly used in road construction, especially to fill gaps between the roads to improve soil structure. Geotextile makes poor soil more beneficial for use and then easy to build in difficult places also. Geotextile are ideal materials used for Construction & infrastructure like roads, buildings, dams and many more.
It improve & stability and decreases the process of wind & water erosion. It helps to prevent the erosion of soil but allows the water to drain off. A geotextiles made from synthetic or natural fibers associated with soil thin pieces. It improves soil characteristics such as Friction or movement restraint, Support of loads and Changes in bearing failure plane.
Function of Geotextiles
As per above explanation, hope you have got enough ideas about why we use geotextiles material. Depending upon many applications, geotextiles can be in Mesh types, wrap-knitted structure and other types of fabric surfaces like non-woven. Geotextiles can be used for the following areas lines, filtrations, drainage, reinforcement, sealing and protection.
- For improvement of Paved & unpaved roads in airport roads
- On landfills and stone base courses
- For Land breaks filling with small geotextile portions.
- Beneath sidewalks and sand drainage layer
- Under the parking lots & curb areas.
- To enhance greenish environment and recreational facilities captured on beneath retaining wall structures
- Improving soil capping due to reinforce & pipe trenches
Types of Geotextile Membrane Fabrics:
Geotextiles are a polymers & synthetic made from textile materials named as polyester. The Geotextiles are effectively successful materials to improve road quality. It is divided into following types:
- Geotextile of Woven Fabrics
- Non-woven Fabrics
- Knitted Fabrics
Do you Want to know what exactly is Geotextile testing?
This is useful to check capabilities of textiles that will be helpful for Roads & highways. Some testing such as Direct shear test, Compressive creep properties, Tensile Creep and Creep Rupture Behavior, Resistance to perforation (Cone drop test), Trapezoid tearing strength, Grab tensile strength and more. To measure these behaviors and properties for geotextile, we use the following instruments for testing these purposes.
Following are suitable geotextile instrumentation range – In Aimil Ltd, we offers you the best of the kind instruments according to your need & applications:
To know more log on to Aimil official website www.aimil.com.
|Name of Geo-textile Equipment||Applications|
|Cone Drop Test Apparatus||To determine the tear strength of Geotextile materials|
|Cross Permeability Test Apparatus||For measuring normal permeability known as permittivity|
|Dry Sieve Test Apparatus||For relative comparison amongst the geotextiles|
|Geotextile Permeameter||For meeting the test requirements of water permeability of Geotextile|
|Gradient Ratio Test Apparatus||For direct measuring of geotextile clogging potential|
|Hydrodynamic Sieve Test Apparatus||For determining the porometry of the geotextile being investigated|
|In-Plane Permeability Test Apparatus||Useful for drainage applications|
|Interface Friction Measurement Apparatus||To evaluate both ‘frictional’ as well as ‘pull out resistance’ of soil reinforcing materials at a shear rate and drainage condition as desired by the designer|
|Large Pull-Out Test Apparatus for Geo Synthetics||To measure the interface friction between GI Strips /Geosynthetics and Soil.|
|Long Term Flow Test Apparatus||For determining the long-term flow capability of a geotextile.|
|Thickness Gauge||For measuring the thickness of the geosynthetics/ reinforcing material with an accuracy of 0.001 mm for thickness upto 25 mm.|
Which tests are used to geotextile pavement?
If you want to do Geotextile Testing, you should experience a person to test the quality of geotextile through the tensile testing machine, material testing, and via friction test according to implementation place & applications. The most common tastings are “puncture resistance testing” and “Tensile Grab Testing”.
Below are some test are available to make sure the strength of Geotextile.
Another minor test also important to double-check the quality before applying the above tests.
- Tensile grab testing / Geotextile Grab Test
- Puncture resistance testing / Geotextile Puncture Test
- Geosynthetic Tear Test
- Geotextile Wide Width Strip Test
- Geotextile Seam Strength Test
- Sampling and preparation of test specimens
- Mass per unit area
- Tensile properties / Seam properties
- Pyramid puncture resistance
- Trapezoid tearing strength
- Resistance to perforation (Cone drop test)
- Apparent pore size distribution (Dry sieving)
- Characteristic opening size (wet sieving)
- Determination of water flow/permeability (normal to the plane)
- Determination of water flow capacity in the plane (transmissivity)
- Cylinder Test
- Compressive properties
- Compressive creep properties
- Tensile Creep and Creep Rupture Behaviors
- Abrasion damage simulation